Saturday, July 30, 2011

Magnetic Chalkboard Pantry Door

I'm sorry I have been MIA for the past little bit. I have been under the weather for the past week and come to find out it's allergies. I've had two doctor appointments to hear the same thing. Who would have thunk it?!?!? I never would have suspected! I thought maybe laryngitis, strep or bronchitis. Just goes to show, you can never really self-diagnose!  Anyhow hopefully in the time I've been away from the computer, you have had some fun even with the higher than average temperatures we've been having. 

I'm excited to share my latest lil project! I took advantage of the inside of the pantry door to make use out of it by converting it into a magnetic chalk board! It works! 

You'll need:
Painters tape

Magnetic wall paint - I used Rust-oleum Magnetic Primer in a can from Lowe's.

Chalkboard paint - I used a small plastic jar of it bought at AC Moore. 
Paint brush or sponge and stir stick

Tape up the door panels.

Use caution when painting the magnetic primer. It has more of a paint thinner consistency so it's liable to drip.  Keep a damp paper towel nearby and put something like newspaper on the floor to catch drips. You could also be smarter than me and cover up the whole door except for the panels you intend to paint. Oh and use a face mask and make sure the kiddies are away because it's a little stinky during application.

The chalkboard paint comes in black or green and I chose black because I did my pantry labels in black. The magnetic paint only holds light weight sheets of magnets. It won't hold heavy duty ceramic types of magnets so keep that in mind. Both the magnetic and chalkboard paints are non-toxic too so they're safe for kids.

The primer went on gray. I did two coats of the magnetic primer and let it cure for 24 hours.


Then I painted on two coats of the chalkboard paint.





I let it dry for 24 hours.


Now the whole family can use the door for "to do" lists, recipes, ingredients you need to buy, magnets as long as they're light weight...


It's a fun, simple idea for any closet, cabinet or pantry door! The whole family will enjoy it!


I’m linking up to the Something to Talk About Link Party today. Go on over and see all the fabulous diy, crafts, furniture makeovers and more.










16 comments:

Ladybird Ln said...

Wow, this looks great! Does the magnet paint work well... I have always wondered. Thanks for showing it off!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Sandra Tyler said...

Fun and clever!

Less Is More from Keep It Simple said...

Thanks. The magnetic paint works well but it's a little tricky applying it b/c it has metal in it. It gets very clumpy so I had to use a stir stick and sort of play with it to paint it on. I used craft sponge on a stick!

I started off making it a chalkboard only surface but decided to try the magnetic paint. I went back over the chalkboard paint with two coats of magnetic paint and finally chalkboard paint on top. You can only use the thin magnets on it. Heavy ones won't stick but it does work well. It would be great for those who don't have a stainless steel refrigerator anc can't hang magnets!

Debbiedoos said...

That looks so very good. I have doors like that too, and I would not have thought about just doing the panels. Thanks for sharing the idea, I may have to try it in my boys gameroom.

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Yay! This is great! I am chalkboard obsessed and am inspired to complete this project on the inside of my spice cabinet for notes. I would love for you to stop by and share your pantry door at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at

http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/07/28/savvy-homemade-monday-party-1/

I am a new follower!

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Thanks for linking up!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I hope you're feeling better now.

I had no idea there was even such a thing as magnetic primer! This is such a creative, functional use of space. Love it!

I'm your newest follower.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I never realized how nasty allergies could be. Thanks for reading and thank you for the nice comment.

1904 Blogger said...

very interesting

Chris said...

Hi there, the door looks great. Congratulations on taking the chance and making it work for you. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry that I am late in commenting but I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

WOW I love your Magnetic Chalk Board. It probably keeps you so organized on the back of your pantry door too. Thank you soooo much for linking up to the Something to Talk About Link Party. Have a great day, Lisa at Concord Cottage

Bluwatergal said...

Love that this is magnetic ~ I never knew about magnetic primer! Chalk boards are great, and now a spot for those pesky bits of paper too. Thanks for linking up at our "Something to Talk About" link party today. Hope to see you again next week :-) Bwg ~~~

Less Is More said...

Thank you! I really do like it! So does my mom, which means I have to paint hers for her next time I visit! Thanks for stopping by and thank you for hosting!

Unknown said...

What a great idea!
via #somethingtotalkboutlinkparty

Anonymous said...

Did you have to flatten the surface or is it okay with the ridges of the wood?

Less Is More said...

I just painted with the ridges and it was fine! I apologize for the delay! :)