Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Easy No-Sew Curtains

I recently gave our half bathroom a more updated look with a fresh new valance. I never really liked the one I had hanging so it was about time! The curtain before, pictured below, was a bland, blah, brownish valance with ties that hung down. It never really looked right in the room and I thought it looked the slightest bit country... not the look I was going for! I'm not a country style kind of girl, although I do like some things that are on the rustic side. : ) Anyhow, the walls are an olive green so the colors didn't contrast enough for my liking. 




Sooo I took a piece of fabric (after washing it) that I bought on sale at Hancock Fabrics and cut it down. I used a T-square just to make sure the fabric was cut straight. I only bought a yard because I wasn't sure what project I would use it for. The fabric has a simple paisley design that I thought would contrast enough with the wall color. The fabric is white with a reddish/brown polka dot paisley pattern. It's a thick canvas type material.
  



I didn't do any serious measuring. I held the fabric up to the window and folded it to what I thought would work and cut it. A recent discovery of mine is hemming tape! Why haven't I ever used it before??? Following the directions on the hemming tape package, I folded the edges of the fabric, one side at a time, and made hems on all four sides using the iron and hemming tape. It's very easy. I bought a pack of black curtain rod clips and clipped one of the widest ends to hang on the curtain rod. 
 





  I wound up cutting the fabric down a little more to make it shorter to feel more airy and allow more light in the room. I think it works. It's a nice simple, easy update and if I get tired of it, it's very cheap to change.



AFTER = New and Fresh Updated Look!














Saturday, November 20, 2010

Styrofoam Christmas Tree

Christmas is almost here so it's time to start thinking about Christmas decorations! Yay! I have to admit that I love seeing stuff in the stores even though it's not Thanksgiving yet, but I won't start pulling the bins out of the attic until after we have turkey! I've been thinking about what to do around the house this year and I absolutely LOVE the cone shaped Christmas trees I've seen in stores. Have you seen them? They're glittery/shimmery, cute, tinsel trees decked from top to bottom in colorful balls you see in stores everywhere. They're just so eye catching and festive!

So I went to A.C. Moore last week to buy a tall, slender Styrofoam cone for the project. While I was in the floral department admiring all the arrangements, I saw a cute potted foam Christmas tree for $50.00. It wasn't all that big either. No way would I pay that much! I had a 50% off coupon and the foam was priced at $7.00 so I got it for $3.50.

I've got a bucket of sea shells from our most recent trip to the beach and decided to make a tree of shells. I'm not a huge fan of themes or decorating with sea shells unless it's a beach cottage and done modestly but I thought this would work.

I had thought about using glittery spray paint to paint the cone but didn't want to have to buy any. I used a pale blue latex paint, leftover from painting our bedroom, to paint the cone and the tops of  the sea shells. I let it all sit overnight to dry and then using a glue gun, I wrapped the cone in silver tinsel garland that I picked up from Wal-Mart for $1.00. It came in a 15 foot package. It might have been overkill to paint the cone since I covered it but I wanted blue underneath just in case you could see thru the tinsel. I used a glue gun to randomly attach the shells, testing for placement before b/c of their shapes and sizes. Then I glued square shaped, clear aqua blue crafter's stones that I found at Dollar Tree. I attached a small star tree topper I found at Wal-Mart for $1.00.



To finish off the tree, I sat the cone in a simple white ceramic pot that I already had. It was sturdy enough to carry the weight of the tree so it was perfect! I used a Styrofoam cube, found at Dollar Tree, and a dowel rod to attach the tree to the base.



 I cut the foam cube in half and then cut one of the halves into smaller chunks to fit them in the round pot to support the tree. I glued the three pieces to the bottom of the pot.



I carefully slid a tall dowel rod up the bottom of the cone.  



Then I spread glue on top of the foam inside the pot and attached the tree to the base.





I  love it! So for about $6.50 plus the pot and supplies I already had, I have a whimsical Christmas tree that is bigger than the one selling in the store for $50.00! I will be making some more of these trees so stay tuned!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Finally A Fun Outlet For Creativity!

I'll figure this whole blog set up thing as soon as I can but for now at least there is a name. That was half the battle! I'm psyched to have at least taken this step of opening an account. I love home interiors/exteriors and enjoy trying to make our house more comfortable. In efforts to get out of a rut with everyday life I thought this would be a fun way to explore and play with decorating and being creative. I'll start posting when I can to share some little home projects that I have been doing. I enjoy reading other people's decor ideas so I think this will be fun!