Friday, December 23, 2011

Snow Ball Arrangement

What's up? How are you? Things are pretty good here. I'm in a humbled, sort of reflecting kind of mood tonight just thinking about how this day turned out. I try not to share too much personal info but I guess I'll talk about my day a little. 

Today started out good. My husband and I were both off to try and work and get some things done around the house in preparation for Christmas. Things have been very rushed so the kids went to their child care center and I did my grocery shopping "kidless" for a change. While I was at the store my husband played Santa, assembling the toys that needed to be put together so Christmas Eve wouldn't be such a late night. When I got home from the store I walked in to find that my husband was lying on the couch in severe pain. Come to find out he pulled his back out when he was putting something together. We spent two hours at Urgent Care and until today I have never seen my husband in such a helpless state. I pray I never see him like this again. It makes me very thankful that it was as minor as it was, even though he is experienced such pain. With all the hustle and bustle over the holidays, this experience brought both of us back down to earth, so to speak. It reminds me that in the grand scheme of things, family and close friends are utmost important in life. It reiterates the true meaning of Christmas! All the other stuff is just shstuff and not that important. Whew! I am so glad my hubs is okay but what a whirlwind of a day.

Having said that I did get crafty today with some material items because I needed a little release. :)  YAY for crafting and YAY for releases. This project idea evolved from an adorable decoration I saw over the summer when we went browsing in a Christmas store at the beach. What I saw was a bunch of sticks with Styrofoam balls that had red OR green sparkly swirls of paint on them. Each bunch of these cost nearly $20.00, which was quite pricey but they were WAY adorable, hence the need to replicate!

To do this project, all you need is:
Decorative sticks - I used glittery white ones from Dollar Tree - they came in a bunch
Styrofoam balls of different sizes. I used three packs, two from Dollar Tree and one from Hobby Lobby. 
Acrylic paints or glitter glue
Paint brush
Tooth picks to hold the ball when painting and to let dry 
Styrofoam square- as a drying rack

I mixed blue and white acrylic paint until I got the shade of blue I wanted. I covered the balls and let them dry overnight. 


Next I pushed the sticks through the balls and arranged them neatly in a vase. Now I have a contemporary decoration that blends well for Christmas! 




It's Overflowing









4 comments:

Sandra Tyler said...

That's fun!

Catrin said...

Oh, how cute. Found you though Creative Me Mondays. Love it... I'll pin that for next year.

Catrin said...

Oh, how cute. That is one fantastiv idea for winter/christmas decoration. I found you though The Southern Institute's Creative Me Linkie-Party.
Greetings from Germany
Catrin

Unknown said...

Love it! Thanks for linking up! Check out my giveaway....


XO, Aimee