Wednesday, January 31, 2018

No More Excess

I just went to the opening class of a new Bible Study this week and we are studying the Beatitudes, the eight "Blessed Be" statements Jesus gave us at the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount.  

Tonight we studied and discussed the first Beatitude - Blessed Are The Poor In Spirit For Theirs Is The Kingdom Of God. In discussion we talked about our possessions. We talked about our country and how it is less Christian than Africa and why. We discussed what it means to be poor in spirit and to humble yourself.


We as Americans live in excess. We have too much stuff. Everywhere you look is an advertisement for why you need a product. It's really ridiculous. It's everywhere and I am certainly guilty of it. When you are faced with losing a loved one it smacks you right in the nose because then you have to deal with getting rid of your loved one's belongings. It can be overwhelming.

It smacks me in the face every day. We are so spoiled to have things to make life easier. When I think of this blog and all the silly little things I do around our house that are fluff and so not necessity, I get very agitated and angered with myself and feel like I am not living like Jesus would. 

It doesn't mean getting rid of every single possession but definitely it means living a richer life in faith, in your heart, and in doing for others. Lightening the load doesn't just mean getting rid of your crap. It means you fulfill your heart doing things for people, by prayer and love for one another.

I can certainly stand to rid of some things and it does make me freer to lighten the load physically but what I'm learning is that getting rid of all the unnecessary in our house and all the extra fluff and ideas of you have to have the best of the best is not Jesus-like. It's more than just a fad of minimalism. It's to live a more fulfilling life because that is what God wants. God is calling all of us. Instead of talking we need to listen. I am one who needs to listen. Well, I'll jump off my pedestal but I hope you have a happy week and I'll be working on my vocation as a wife and mother.

I've got a little sickie who is home all week with the flu and he needs to be fed lunch. 

Happy Wednesday. Wash your hands lots!

Keep It Simple YAY!
KISY for short :)

No comments: